- Types of Postpartum Disorders
- Signs and Symptoms of Postpartum Disorders
- ADAA Resources
- Other Resources
- Trending Articles
Following childbirth, other known as "postpartum", women may experience postpartum disorders that can affect their mental health. The high hormonal changes and fluctuations that occur during and after childbirth could cause mothers to feel intense mood swings called "the baby blues" which affects 80% of mothers.1 If symptoms persist for more than a couple weeks, then it could potentially be something more severe such as a postpartum disorder.
Postpartum Depression, or PPD, is a mood disorder in women shortly after childbirth. Mothers with PPD experience feelings of extreme sadness, anxiety, and exhaustion that can affect the woman's ability to care for herself or for others. Click here to learn more about postpartum depression.
Signs and symptoms for PPD are the same as those for clinical depression.
In women with postpartum depression, symptoms usually begin within the first four weeks of giving birth, although some women report decreasing mood in the late third trimester of pregnancy.
Postpartum Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is one of the most misunderstood perinatal disorders. Women with OCD tend to attribute the onset or worsening of their symptoms during pregnancy or postpartum. Click here to learn more about postpartum obsessive-compulsive disorder
Postpartum Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is PTSD associated with pregnancy. Approximately 9% of women experience postpartum post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) following childbirth.2
Postpartum Bipolar Disorder (Peripartum Bipolar Disorder) is characterized by mood episodes—mania, hypomania or depression—that can begin during pregnancy or in the weeks after childbirth. Early recognition of women with bipolar disorder in pregnancy is critical as the risk of postpartum depression is high. Working with a mental health clinician to use evidence-based therapy, appropriate medication, and bright light therapy is needed to treat bipolar disorder. Read about treatment for peripartum bipolar disorder. Learn more here. Read a personal story about coping with postpartum bipolar disorder here.
New! ADAA's new infographic in partnership with Postpartum Society International: Postpartum Depression & Anxiety.
Learn more about postpartum and mental health from Postpartum Support International:
- Depression During Pregnancy & Postpartum
- Anxiety During Pregnancy & Postpartum
- Pregnancy or Postpartum Obsessive Symptoms
- Postpartum Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Postpartum Psychosis
- PSI Grupos de Apoyo en el Internet
Postpartum disorders are temporary and treatable with professional help. If you or someone you know may be suffering from a mental illness, notify your healthcare provider or Find a Therapist.
Read about 7 Ways to Cope with Postpartum Depression at Healthline.com.
- The Wisdom of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT): A Perfect Gift for New Moms - Blog post by ADAA member Deborah Roth Ledley, PhD
- Treating Perinatal Mood Disorders Using Behavioral Activation Psychotherapy - Professional blog post by ADAA member Jackie K Gollan, PhD
- When It Is More Than Just the Baby Blues - Blog Post
- Your Therapy Choices During Pregnancy and Postpartum - Webinar
- Pregnancy and Postpartum Anxiety - Book
- A Bench-to-Bedside Story: The Development of a Treatment for Postpartum Depression - NIMH Director's Message - Joshua Gordon, MD, Past ADAA Keynote Speaker
- What You and Your Family Need to Know About Maternal Depression - New York Times
- Correlation Between Fatigue, Depression Observed in Postpartum Women - Psychiatry Advisor
- Post-partum Depression Saga: Is This What Women Should Expect? - Lindner Center of HOPE
- New Recommendations May Help Prevent Depression in New Mothers, APA blog post
- The risk factors for postpartum depression: A population-based study - ADAA Journal
- Help With Postpartum Depression - psychiatry.org
- Pregnancy & Postpartum Mental Health - Postpartum Support International
- Postpartum Care: Tips for the Recovery Process - Healthline.com
- Postpartum Depression: Ways To Cope And Heal - National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Postpartum Disorders - Mental Health America
- Postpartum Depression Facts - NIMH
- Beyond the Blues: Postpartum OCD - International OCD Foundation
- 3 Moms with Post-Birth PTSD Share Their Stories
- The Case for Home Visits In Postpartum Care
- Anxiety Disorders During Pregnancy and Postpartum More Prevalent Than Previously Thought
- New Study Uncovers the Heavy Financial Toll of Untreated Maternal Mental Health Conditions
- If it's not Postpartum Depression, What is it? (Hint: It Might be Anxiety)
- How to Tell When the Baby Blues Are Really Postpartum Depression
- Bipolar Postpartum Depression Frequently Missed, Requires Screening
- Federal Officials Urged to Increase Perinatal Depression Treatment in Minority Women
- Risk, Predictors of Postpartum Psychosis in Women With Bipolar Disorder
- I Didn’t Think I Had Postpartum Depression Until It Was Gone
- Mother Shares Her Picture Summarizing Postpartum Depression, Here is How it Affects New Moms And Babies
- I Never Thought Being a New Mom Would Come with So Much Anxiety
- Mental Health Survivor and Entrepreneur On Building Her Business While Managing PTSD
- Is There a Better Way to Screen for Postpartum Depression?
- Chrissy Teigen Opens Up for the First Time About Her Postpartum Depression