ADAA is proud to showcase the cutting-edge research conducted by our members. If you are interested in featuring your research lab, please download this flyer for more information or contact Astrid Masfar.
Meet the May 2019 Featured Research Lab
The Smoller Laboratory works to understand the genetic basis of psychiatric disorders in order to improve diagnosis and treatment. It is part of the Psychiatric & Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit (PNGU) at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The mission of the Psychiatric & Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit (PNGU) at Massachusetts General Hospital is to identify and characterize the genetic basis of psychiatric, behavioral and neurodevelopmental disorders and to translate these discoveries to improvements in clinical care and public health.
ADAA Members Involved
- Jordan Smoller, MD, ScD, is a Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and a Professor in the Department of Epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston. He is the associate chief for research for the Mass General Department of Psychiatry and director of psychiatric genetics. He is director of the Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit in Mass General's Center for Human Genetics Research. Dr. Smoller also serves as co-director of the Genetics and Genomics Unit of the Mass General Clinical Research Program, is an Associate Member of the Broad Institute and a Senior Scientist at the Broad’s Stanley Center for Psychiatric Research.
- Karmel Choi, PhD, is a postdoctoral fellow. She is mentored by Dr. Jordan Smoller and Dr. Karestan Koenen through the T32 Training Fellowship in Psychiatric Genetics at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Her research focuses on the interplay of genetic and environmental factors that influence trauma and resilience across the lifespan. Her clinical work focuses on treatment of mood and anxiety disorders and stress-related health conditions, particularly in women. Dr. Karmel completed her PhD in Clinical Psychology at Duke University and her predoctoral clinical internship in Behavioral Medicine at Mass General.
- Chia-Yen Chen, ScD
- Karmel Choi, PhD, Clinical and Research Fellow
- Yen-Chen (Anne) Feng, PhD
- Robert Mealer, MD, PhD, Psychiatry Resident
- Randi Schuster, PhD, Clinical and Research Fellow
- Amanda Zheutlin, PhD, Research Fellow
- Yen-Feng Lin, MD, MS, MHS
- Meg Ming-Jung Wang, MSc
- Vicki Wang
- Qiu-Yue Zhong
- Stanley Center for Psychiatric Research at the Broad Institute
- Psychiatric Genomics Consortium
- Nock Lab, Harvard University
- Predictive Medicine Group, Children’s Hospital Informatics Program
- PsycheMERGE Consortium
For more information about this lab, please contact Kristin Joyce: KJOYCE@PARTNERS.ORG