- Your Video Therapist Will See You Now: Sessions have gone virtual amid the coronavirus pandemic, raising new challenges, Wall Street Journal, Anne Marie Albano, PhD, ABPP, Mary Alvord, PhD, Lynn Bufka, PhD, Rachel Busman, PsyD, ABPP and
- Why Right Now is the Perfect Time to Start Therapy - ADAA Blog Post, Michelle Lozano, A-LMFT
- Telehealth for Evidence-Based Treatments: Clinical & Ethical Applications, CE/CME eligible on-demand webinar, Rachel Busman, PsyD and Jami M. Furr, Ph.D.
- Top Ten Teletherapy Tips for Kids and Teens, ADAA blog post, Erika Vivyan, PhD
- Tele-mental health and the Coronavirus, ADAA Blog post, Stephen Schueller, PhD
- Engaging Children and Teens in Telemental Health, Free ADAA On-Demand Webinar (no CEs), hosted by Mary Alvord, PhD
- Teletherapy & Treating OCD Online, Live webinar - Thursday, April 9 - with ADAA members Reid Wilson and John Herschfield, MFT
- Therapists Switch to Online Therapy Because of Coronavirus Shutdowns: How You Can Still Get the Therapy You Need - Blog Post, Michael Stein, PsyD
- Strategies for Effective Telehealth Sessions, ADAA Blog Post for mental health professionals, Jamie Micco, PhD, ABPP
- Keep Calm and Carry On: Clinical Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic, ADAA video, ADAA Past President Karen Cassiday, PhDADAA Telemental Health Information
Online therapy, also known as telemental health, is a growing field. A therapist or counselor provides psychological counseling and support over the internet through email, video conferencing, online chat, or a phone call.
Telemental health may be useful to individuals who cannot leave their home, who work unconventional hours, as well as those overseas or who live in rural or remote areas.
You may want to research this treatment option to determine if it can be helpful for you. Ask your mental health provider about their experiences or thoughts on telemental health. Medicare, Medicaid, and other third-party reimbursement may be available; also, check with your insurance provider.
- Executive Order on Improving Rural Health and Telehealth Access - Signed on August 3, 2020
- Telehealth Certification Institute - Database of state telehealth rules and regulations
- Registry of Telehealth Codes of Ethics (designed to guide telehealth best practices)