ADAA is an established and fast-growing non-profit international membership association dedicated to the prevention, treatment, and cure of anxiety and depression-related disorders through education, practice, and research. ADAA’s unique interlinked consumer and professional mission focuses on improving quality of life for those with these disorders.
ADAA’s corporate office is located in Silver Spring, MD. We are a growing organization and strive to be an employer of choice. As such, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package, a healthy work-life balance, a collaborative team environment and opportunities for personal growth and professional development.
Membership and Marketing Associate Director - Posted May 13, 2019
The Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) seeks a creative, flexible, and entrepreneurial full-time marketing and membership associate director. This is a new position for ADAA and is ideal for a candidate with eight+ years of non-profit or association management experience (specifically membership and marketing related). The position requires a candidate who is excited about making a strategic contribution to the next phase of ADAA’s growth. This position is well suited for a mission driven, dynamic, high energy and highly productive professional with good judgment and instincts. Ideal candidates should be intellectually curious with strong analytical skills.
The Marketing and Membership Associate Director will lead ADAA’s small staff in developing and advancing ADAA’s mission and vision through membership outreach, traditional and e-marketing, social media, external communications, and media relations. Successful candidates will bring outstanding writing and analytical skills and strong interpersonal skills. A key member of ADAA’s leadership team, the Marketing and Membership Associate Director will report to the Deputy Executive Director.
- Develop annual and long-term growth strategies.
- Supervise staff and manage the day-to-day membership tasks and responsibilities.
- Responsible for retention and recruitment efforts (develop outreach strategies to promote the member value proposition, create and measure recruitment campaigns, develop tracking metrics to measure member experience, satisfaction and loyalty.
- Help develop and implement new membership engagement programs.
- Help identify and cultivate new members (identify and develop new membership markets
- Work on the ongoing development and efficiency of the association database and integrity of the data being managed.
- Develop and manage membership budgets and deliver accurate and timely forecasts.
- Help ensure that all membership processes/procedures are effective and efficient.
- Evaluate effectiveness of association strategies (membership category and fee structures, benefits/policies relating to the retention of current members/acquisition of new members).
- Create, implement and measure surveys and other feedback vehicles.
- Manage content and distribution of bi-monthly membership e-newsletter.
- Develop creative and engaging membership marketing materials and liaise with key staff on how best to engage members/non-members and promote continuing education programs.
- Travel to various like-minded conferences to represent ADAA and create strategic relationships.
Marketing and Communications
- Work with Deputy Executive Director to identify and implement programs for generating non-dues revenue streams.
- Coordinate marketing and communications calendars including event calendars, website update calendar, and social media calendars.
- Administer ADAA’s individual giving program and develop strategic plan to further develop fundraising opportunities and revenue.
- Together with the Deputy Executive Director, oversee ADAA’s advertising and business development program.
- Develop strategy, manage, and grow ADAA’s social media engagement.
- Manage, promote, and grow ADAA’s consumer-oriented blogs and webinars.
- Help develop marketing content for ADAA’s annual conference and ADAA’s professional webinar series.
- Review and update website content, including outreach to professional membership for content feedback.
- Assist with website redesign (scheduled for fall/winter 2019). Review all website content, assist with vendor research, RFPs and project schedules.
- Oversee content development and distribution of ADAA’s monthly consumer focused email newsletter; grow circulation of newsletter.
- Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, communications, marketing, journalism, social work or related field.
- Eight+ years of association (preferred) or non-profit management experience
- Experience working in a small entrepreneurial non-profit with minimal administrative support.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple diverse projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated track record of growing programs/membership base.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced growth-focused environment.
- Strong customer service and sales skills. Service-oriented and relates well to people at all levels of membership. Should be a team player with consensus-building skills.
- Strong analytic/data mining skills.
- Excellent writing/editing skills.
- Computer and social-media savvy and willing to embrace and use new technology.
- Experience with webinar platforms (e.g. GoToTraining, Freestone, etc.).
- Experience and facility with membership management software (e.g. YourMembership or similar).
- Experience in Drupal or other website content management systems; Constant Contact or other email marketing platforms; Adobe Photoshop and/or other desktop publishing skills; and social media-scheduling platforms (e.g. Hootsuite). Experience with Meltwater software.
- Publication experience (print and digital).
Specific Skills Required:
- Supervisory experience.
- Success in growing an organization’s membership base (with data examples).
- Success in enhancing an organization’s marketing/pr outreach/engagement (with data examples).
Full-time in ADAA’s Silver Spring office; travel to annual conference (usually 5 days). Occasional work on evenings/weekends.
ADAA offers a competitive salary and comprehensive/robust benefits package which includes 17 paid holidays (including the week between Christmas and New Year’s and 2 days off after the annual conference), paid vacation time and sick leave, medical/dental benefits (ADAA covers 85% of this cost), a Simple IRA with ca 3% company match, a healthy work-life balance, a collaborative team environment and opportunities for personal growth and professional development.
Silver Spring, Maryland (walking distance to Silver Spring metro).
Please send a cover letter and resume to Susan Gurley by June 13, 2019. The cover letter must include salary requirements/salary history and address the specific skills mentioned in the position. ADAA does not pay relocation costs. Start date for this position is mid/end of July, 2019.