Teens and college students can easily feel anxious trying to juggle school, work, friends, and family while trying to figure out the rest of your life. Most of us bounce back. But frequent, intense, and uncontrollable anxiety that interferes with your daily routines may be a sign of an anxiety disorder. Anxiety Disorders are one of the most common mental health problems on college campuses. Learn the difference between everyday anxiety and an anxiety disorder.
Facts & Statistics
- 50% of all lifetime cases of mental illness begin developing by age 14.
- 75% of all lifetime cases of mental illness begin developing by age 24.
- 8-10 years is the average delay between onset and intervention.
- The 2nd leading cause of death in youth ages 10-24 is suicide.
- 50% of students age 14 or older with a mental illness drop out of high school.
- 70% of youth in state and local juvenile justice systems have a mental illness.
Webinars, Blog Posts and Videos
- Depression Among College Students, webinar with JED Foundation.
- Depression Among College Students, blog post written by Erica Riba and Diana Cusumano, JED Foundation
- University of Fear and Anxiety: How to Pass your Freshman Year of College, blog post by ADAA member Ken Goodman, LCSW
- Created for students, "Glass People illustrates college-age anxiety and the great value of finding professional help. The filmmakers, John Berardo and Brian Frager, are students at the USC School of Cinematic Arts.
Anxiety disorders are one of the most common mental health problems on college campuses. Get the facts.
- Obsessed with Control - Personal Story of Triumph
- Find help on your campus
- Learn how to manage test anxiety
- Download a brochure
- 2018 Children's Mental Health Report
- Active Minds
- Adolescent Peer Support League
- APA: Stress in America: Stress and Generation Z (Oct. 30, 2018).
- Guide to College Student Mental Health
- How to Overcome Test Anxiety in College
- The Jed Foundation
- Minding Your Mind
- Mental Health America - Life on Campus Guide
- National Eating Disorders Association
- Promoting Student Mental Health
- Student Mental Health: A Guide to Identifying Disorders and Promoting Wellness
Trending Articles/Blog Posts
- How to Help a Depressed Teenager
- How to Help Teenage Girls Reframe Anxiety and Strengthen Resilience
- What's Your Plan? College with a Mental Health Disorder
- Coping With Depression At University
- Preparing for College Emotionally, Not Just Academically
- Many Grad Students Struggle With Anxiety, Depression
- Most College Students Suffer From Anxiety, It’s Time To Talk About It by ADAA Member Anne Marie Albano, PhD, ABPP
- Anxiety: A College Nightmare?
- College-Aged Adults Face Less Mental Health Stigma