ADAA members are welcome, and encouraged, to submit content on an on-going basis. We greatly appreciate our member input and consider it an opportunity to showcase the invaluable work that you do to advance the mental health field in research, treatment and practice. Your contributions have the ability to reach more than 11 million unique visitors to our website annually.
Contributions are posted in the form of a public-consumer focused or a professional-focused blog.
ADAA can assist in editing, coordinating, and finalizing the piece for publication. We have a writer/editor on staff who can help you create, flush out, and/or edit your contribution or assist in any way. We are open to various ways to help you ensure your work is published.
All blog post subject matter - for both professional and public focused blogs - must be aligned with the mission of the organization. ADAA reserves the right to not publish a blog submission if the content is not aligned with our mission. As a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, we are nonpartisan, we do not lobby and cannot share any content that is political in nature. No advertising, marketing, or product identification by brand name is permitted.
To submit a blog post, email ADAA your blog topic proposal.
ADAA’s Blog Post Guidelines:
- Word count of 500-750 ideally but we will consider each piece individually.
- For public-focused work, please keep the writing informal. Sentences and paragraphs are best kept short. Bulleting key information is great.
- Photographs – images/video are suggested for bringing a post to life.
- Include a title (please keep titles short and “catchy” - ie., "Five Tips to Overcome School Anxiety"). “Listicles” drive increased engagement.
- Please provide a current author headshot (high resolution JPG or PNG file) and a bio sketch (one to two paragraphs in length). These must be submitted.
- Include a link to an affiliated website (i.e. your practice, academic organization, your website, etc.)
- If possible, please include two to three questions at the end of blog post to inspire engagement and comments.
- Authors are encouraged to comment on the blog posts of others.
- Author agrees and warrants the piece is original and has not previously been published (ADAA accepts posts that are posted on the author’s own website).
- It is understood that no compensation is provided for any blog posts.
The decision to publish a post and when is at the sole discretion of ADAA. Once published, the post becomes the property of ADAA and ADAA may publish and share the blog post in any manner it chooses (now and in the future). All blog posts are shared on ADAA’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram) and highlighted in our free public and professional e-newsletters.
For samples (re. format and style) for our public-focused blog posts, please click here. To view our current professional-focused blog posts, please click here.
All blog posts are comments-enabled (people can leave a comment, ask a question, etc., on each blog post). These comments are reviewed by ADAA staff on a daily basis and must be approved before posting. Comments that are deemed inappropriate are deleted. ADAA will share positive feedback or questions for the authors on a weekly basis.
Please contact Lise Bram, ADAA Deputy Executive Director at [email protected] or 240-485-1016 with any questions. Thank you!