- About the Women's Mental Health SIG
- Women's Mental Health Special Interest Group (SIG) Meeting Summary
New Fall 2019 Live Interactive Forum - Spotlight on Maternal Mental Health: Treatment and Research
ADAA's virtual Fall Forum for professionals (e.g. psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, pediatricians, nurses and community health workers) will address understanding and treating maternal anxiety and depression. Click here to learn more.
The Women’s Mental Health SIG was launched in December 2017 and creates a place for clinicians and researchers to discuss, debate, and address issues relevant to the understanding and treatment of women suffering from anxiety and depression and related disorders. The SIG develops specific education presentations at the ADAA annual conference, such as workshops, roundtables, and poster sessions to increase the understanding and overall awareness of how the treatment of women suffering from anxiety and depression may be different than others in the population. The SIG will also create a series of women-focused webinars and blog posts. In addition, the SIG will help educate the public about mental health treatment options for women to help decrease the stigma of mental illness.
This new SIG allows ADAA to focus on women’s mental health issues through Conference sessions and ongoing professional education webinars throughout the year. The webinars will be accompanied by blog posts for the professional and public communities.
The SIG will also encourage young researchers to become involved in evidence-based gender research and treatment options for women.
The Women’s Mental Health SIG Conference Program met at the #ADAA2018 Conference and held a panel discussion on addressing culture and treatment with women of diverse cultural backgrounds.
Please view the ADAA SIG Guidelines for responsibilities and expectations.
- Karen Martinez, MD, MSc
SIG Vice Chairs
- Katherine Harris, PhD
- Sohye Kim, PhD
- Sheila Rauch, PhD, ABPP, Emory University School of Medicine
Women's Mental Health Special Interest Group (SIG) Meeting Summary
The Women’s Mental Health SIG meeting was held at the #ADAA2019 Conference in Chicago, IL at 12:00 PM on Friday, March 30. The Women's Mental Health SIG feature update on ADAA's women's initiative Turning a Laser-Focus on Women’s Issues in the Treatment of Anxiety, Depression and Related Disorders and a discussion on how to further define the scope of the Women’s Mental Health SIG.
- Continue to enhance the girls and women’s resources on the ADAA website
- Develop more consumer and professional webinars
- Assist with the promotion and marketing of ADAA Fall Event 2019
- Develop more women-focused sessions at the ADAA 2020 Conference
Plans for the Future
- Organize video conference calls with all SIG members
- Create a Women's Career Development Program i.e. mentoring
- Increase consumer and professional webinars and blog posts on women-focused topics such as:
- Postpartum and/or medication during pregnancy
- Maternal mortality
- Domestic violence issues
- How female hormones affect women throughout the lifespan
- Geriatrics drugs