Below is a listing of recent research and clinically focused ADAA member publications/programs. If you are an ADAA member and are interested in sharing your research news ADAA's website, please contact Lise Bram.
Please email us with any media and/or advertising inquiries.
ADAA Member Journal Articles (available through online sites)
- Intensive Outpatient Prolonged Exposure for PTSD in Post-9/11 Veterans and Service-Members: Program Structure and Preliminary Outcomes of the Emory Healthcare Veterans Program, Trauma Psychology News, Winter 2017, Carly Yasinski, PhD, Andrew M. Sherrill, PhD, (ADAA member) Jessica L. Maples-Keller, PhD, (ADAA board member) Sheila A.M. Rauch, PhD ABPP, and (ADAA member) Barbara O. Rothbaum PhD ABPP - Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Emory University School of Medicine
- Intensive Treatment Models to Address Posttraumatic Stress Among Post-9/11 Warriors: The Warrior Care Network, PsychiatryOnline.org Fall 2017, Margaret M. Harvey, Psy.D., (ADAA board member) Sheila A.M. Rauch, Ph.D., A.B.P.P., Alyson K. Zalta, Ph.D., Jo Sornborger, Psy.D., (ADAA member) Mark H. Pollack, M.D., (ADAA member) Barbara O. Rothbaum, Ph.D., A.B.P.P., Lauren M. Laifer, B.A., (ADAA member) Naomi M. Simon, M.D., M.Sc.
- Changes in trauma-potentiated startle, skin conductance, and heart rate within Prolonged Exposure therapy for PTSD in high and low treatment responders, Journal of Anxiety Disorders, September 2019, Jessica L. Maples-Keller, (ADAA board member) Sheila A.M. Rauch, (ADAA board member) Tanja Jovanovic, Carly W. Yasinski, Jessica Morgan, Goodnight, Andrew Sherrill, Kathryn Black, (ADAA member) Vasiliki Michopoulos, Boadie W. Dunlop, (ADAA member) Barbara Olasov Rothbaum, (ADAA member) Seth Davin Norrholm
- Rising tide: Responding to the mental health impact of the COVID‐19 pandemic, ADAA Depression and Anxiety Journal, June 2020, Commentary by ADAA board member Sheila A. M. Rauch, PhD, ABPP, ADAA member Naomi M. Simon, MD, MSc, and ADAA member Barbara O. Rothbaum, PhD, ABPP
- COVID‐19 and Anxiety and Depression in 2020, Depression and Anxiety Journal, June 2020, Editorial by journal editor-in-chief Murray B. Stein MD, MPH
- Neuro-transcriptomic signatures for mood disorder morbidity and suicide mortality, Journal of Psychiatric Research Volume 127, July 2020, Pages 62-74, (ADAA member) Mbemba Jabbi, Dhivya Arasappane, Simon B.Eickhofff, (ADAA member) Stephen M.Strakowski (ADAA president-elect and CMO) Charles B.Nemeroff, Hans A.Hofmann
- Phased Approach for Supporting the Mental Health of Healthcare Workers and Others Affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic (PAC). The Phased Approach to COVID-19 Mental Health Response (PAC) is a framework for COVID-19 mental health response developed by ADAA members Drs. Sheila Rauch, Naomi Simon, and Barbara Rothbaum to aid in responding to and planning for mental health impacts of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Hormonal Treatments for Major Depressive Disorder:State of the Art, AJP Psychiatryonline.org, May 2020, Jennifer B. Dwyer, M.D., Ph.D., Awais Aftab, M.D., Alik Widge, M.D., Ph.D., (ADAA member) Carolyn I. Rodriguez, M.D., Ph.D., Linda L. Carpenter, M.D., (ADAA CMO and President-Elect) Charles B. Nemeroff, M.D., Ph.D., (ADAA member) Ned H. Kalin, M.D., APA Council of Research Task Force on Novel Biomarkers and Treatments
- Double Trouble: Treatment Considerations for Patients with Comorbid PTSD and Depression, Springer Nature Journal, May 18, 2020 Valerie Rosen, Nicholas F. Ortiz and ADAA member Charles Nemeroff, MD, PhD
- Pharmacogenomic testing and antidepressant response: problems and promises, Brazilian Journal of Psychiatry, March-April, 2020, Tawny L. Smith, Charles B. Nemeroff
- For Clinicians: Psychiatric Treatments of Minority and Underserved Populations: Cognitive Behavioral Strategies To Manage Anxiety: Tools to Build Resilience, 19 March 2020 - 7th Harry E. Ford, III, MD/M. Henehan Lecture, Luana Marques, PhD
- The Impact of Paid Maternity Leave on the Mental and Physical Health of Mothers and Children, March/April Issue 2020, Harvard Review of Psychiatry, Richa Bhatia, MD
- Psychedlics and Psychedlic-Assisted Psychotherapy, American Journal of Psychiatry, 2020, Ned Kalin, MD, Charles Nemeroff, MD, PhD, Carolyn Rodriguez, MD, PhD,
- The Devastating Clinical Consequences of Child Abuse and Neglect: Increased Disease Vulnerability and Poor Treatment Response in Mood Disorders, American Journal of Psychiatry 1771, January, 2020, Charles Nemeroff MD, PhD and Elizabeth T.C. Lippard, PhD
- Somatic symptoms in treatment‐naïve Hispanic and non‐Hispanic patients with major depression, ADAA Depression and Anxiety Journal, December 2019, Devon LoPao, PhD, Edward Craighead, PhD, Charles Nemerof, MD, PhD
- Hope is a Key Factor in Recovering from Anxiety Disorders, Science Daily, David Barlow, PhD and Todd Farchione PhD
- Combat exposure, posttraumatic stress disorder, and head injuries differentially relate to alterations in cortical thickness in military Veterans, Neuropsychology Journal, 2019, Ashley Clausen, PhD
- Differences in adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and quality of physical and mental health between transgender and cisgender sexual minorities, Journal of Psychiatric Research, December 2019, ADAA Chief Medical Officer and Board Member, Charles Nemeroff, MD, PhD, and Phillip W. Schnarrs, Amy L. Stone, Robert Salcido, Jr, and Aleta Baldwin
- Treatment Expectancy, Motivation Linked to CBT Response in Body Dysmorphic Disorder, PsychiatryAdvisor, July 18, 2019 - ADAA members Sabine Wilhelm, PhD and Gail Steketee, PhD, and Greenberg JL, Phillips KA, and Hoeppner SS
- Editorial: Neurobiological Models of Psychotherapy, June 26, 2019, Frontiers in Behavioral Science, authored by ADAA member Arash Javanbakht and Cristina Maria Alberini
- Parent-Based Treatment as Efficacious as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Childhood Anxiety: A Randomized Noninferiority Study of Supportive Parenting for Anxious Childhood Emotions, March 6, 2019, Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, by Eli R. Lebowitz, PhD, Carla Marin, PhD, Alyssa Martino, MA, Yaara Shimshoni, PhD, Wendy K. Silverman, PhD
- Benefits of Sequentially Adding Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy or Antidepressant Medication for Adults with Nonremitting Depression, February 15 2019, AJP.Psychiatryonline.org, by Charles B. Nemeroff, MD, PhD, Edward Craighead, PhD
- Exercise anxiety: A qualitative analysis of the barriers, facilitators, and psychological processes underlying exercise participation for people with anxiety-related disorders, November 2018, ScienceDirect, by Julia E. Mason, Y.Nichole Faller, Daniel M. LeBouthillier, Gordon J.G. Asmundson
- DNA methylation levels are associated with CRF1 receptor antagonist treatment outcome in women with post-traumatic stress disorder, November 2018, Clinical Epigenetics, by Charles B. Nemeroff, MD, PhD
- The Role of Oxytocin in Early Life Adversity and Later Psychopathology: a Review of Preclinical and Clinical Studies, October 2018, Springer Nature Switzerland AG, co-authored by Charles B. Nemeroff, MD, PhD
- Discomfort Intolerance in Relation to Asthma Outcomes, September 2018, Cognitive Therapy and Research, co-authored by Alison C. McLeish, PhD.
- Anxiety Sensitivity as a Predictor of Epilepsy-Related Quality of Life and Illness Severity Among Adult Epilepsy, August 2018, Cognitive Therapy and Research, co-authored by Alison C. McLeish, PhD.
- A meta-analytic review of cognitive processing therapy for adults with posttraumatic stress disorder, July 2018, ScienceDirect, by Gordon J. G. Asmundson, Audur S. Thorisdottir, Jacob W. Roden-Foreman, Scarlett O. Baird, Sara M. Witcraft, Aliza T. Stein, Jasper A. J. Smits & Mark B Powers
- Innovations in the psychosocial treatment of youth with anxiety disorders: implications for a stepped care approach, July 2018, Evidence-Based Mental Health, by Thomas H Ollendick, Lars-Göran Öst, and Lara J Farrell
- Emotion Regulation Therapy for Generalized Anxiety Disorder With and Without Co-occurring Depression, March, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology (Mennin, D.S., et al., Vol. 86, No. 3), Douglas Mennin, PhD
- The Search for Treatments for Depressed Veterans - Of Paramount Importance, Yet Still Elusive, June 2018, JAMA Psychiatry, by Charles B. Nemeroff, MD, PhD
- Are anxiety disorders publications continuing on a trajectory of growth? A look at Boschen’s (2008) predictions and beyond, May 2018, Gordon J.G. Asmundson and Aleiia J.N. Asmundson
- Tough-to-Treat Anxiety: Hidden Problems & Effective Solutions for Your Clients, by Margaret Wehrenberg, PsyD, 2017, W.W. Norton.
The first Congressional Neuroscience Caucus Briefing of 2019 was held at the Rayburn House Office Building in DC on January 29 for a group of members of the House of Representatives and their staffers who are interested in brain diseases-neurological and psychiatric disorders. The briefing was sponsored by the American Brain Coalition, the Society for Neuroscience and the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. The focus of the briefing was on the need for novel treatments for these disorders and more specifically for mood disorders and the associated high risk for suicide. ADAA member Charles Nemeroff, MD, PhD, professor of psychiatry at the Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin presented on the progress in suicide prevention. Click here to view the presentation.