ADAA’s SC is comprised of mid- and senior-level basic and clinical researchers committed to the organization. The SC contributes scientific expertise and mentorship, actively grows membership and encourages participation among colleagues, students and fellows, and volunteers to participate in projects that maintain ADAA’s leading edge in research, dissemination, and treatment.
Scientific Council Chair
Douglas Mennin, PhD
Scientific Council Vice Chair
Martin Paulus, MD
Laureate Institute for Brain Research
Applicants must be current ADAA members at the rank or equivalent of associate professor or higher. Candidates should be active in ADAA, present at the conference, and participate in review and other committees. Individuals may apply or be nominated to serve a four-year term. To accomplish ADAA’s mission, it is critical that members of the Scientific Council participate and are visible at the conference by presenting and mentoring as well as encouraging colleagues to join and attend the conference, publish in Depression & Anxiety, and respond to queries for expert input on relevant issues about research needs, funding and priorities.
SC members are expected to meet the following minimum responsibilities and renewal on the Council will be evaluated based on participation:
- Maintain annual professional membership throughout term
- Participate in the Scientific Council meeting held at the conference at least twice during four-year term
- Attend one ADAA Annual Conference at least twice during four-year term
- Write an annual professional blog post or host one professional webinar
- Make an annual gift (of any size) to ADAA by the end of the calendar year
- Advance ADAA’s scientific mission through active service. Individuals can meet this annual commitment in several ways (minimum of two):
- Review research submissions for the Annual Conference (late September)
- Review poster submissions for the Annual Conference (late November/early December)
- Serve on the Scientific Research Symposium subcommittee
- Serve as a mentor for CDLP award winners at the conference
- Participate in a SC initiatives such as development of scientific content for the ADAA website (i.e. blog posts, trends in clinical practice, response statements for the media)
- Chair a Standing Committee, Special Interest Group or Conference Sub-Committee
If you are interested in learning more about these committees and how you can be involved, please contact Helen Heymann, ADAA Senior Education Program Manager.