The Multicultural Advances SIG encourages collaboration, communication, education, research, mentoring, and networking focused on multicultural issues within anxiety, depression, and related disorders. This SIG aims to facilitate increased attention on topics and issues concerning diversity and multiculturalism within ADAA and in the field in general, and encourages discussion, collaboration, and research among researchers, clinicians, and stakeholders interested in meeting the mental health needs of diverse underserved communities.
Read the article "An Increase in Anxiety and Other Emotions Is Completely Natural After the 2016 Presidential Election"
ADAA has also launched a Spanish-language online peer-to-peer support community as part of our ongoing efforts to provide enhanced resources for our Hispanic community.
If you’re interested in joining this SIG, please login to your member account and choose Groups from the green menu bar at the top of your screen or contact Susan Bailey, ADAA Senior Manager, Education.
Please view the ADAA SIG Guidelines for responsibilities and expectations.
- Lauren Wadsworth, PhD, Genesee Valley Institute of Psychology
- Briana Woods-Jaeger, PhD, Emory University
Sheila Rauch, PhD, ABPP, Emory University School of Medicine
2018-2019 Annual Report
- SIG Champion award established and awarded
- 2015 awarded to Alies Muskin
- 2016 awarded to Liz Roemer
- 2017 awarded to Sarah Hayes and Carmela Alcantara
- 2018 awarded to Jen Martinez
- Community Social Hour was now part of an all SIG Social Hour at Annual Meeting
- Presentation on Multicultural Theme Topics at 2018 Conference continued to increase
- Roundtable on increasing diversity in the mental health workforce
- Collaborated with the Women’s Mental Health SIG presentation
- We completed multiple conference calls and email communication to coordinate 2019 Annual Meeting submissions
- We have collaborated with the Public Education Committee and the consumer online community to increase access to Spanish resources
- Co-chair Karen G. Martínez hosted a Spanish webinar on post-traumatic stress and developed a short video series in Spanish on what is anxiety, panic attacks, post-traumatic stress disorder, worries, phobias, ataque de nervios and depression/anxiety in children
- We worked on multicultural issues for anxiety.org articles and blog posts
Plans for 2019
- New co-chairs will be elected at the ADAA Annual Meeting
- More member involvement/ More senior faculty/member involvement
- Continue collaborating with consumer-oriented resources
- Coordinate at least one professional webinar on multicultural/diversity issues
- Coordinate at least one public education webinar on multicultural/diversity issues