You Are Not Alone. Support is Available.
If you are in crisis, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
Support and Treatment Is Available
Early diagnosis and intervention with appropriate treatment are critical steps to feeling better. Echoing ADAA's mission, Terence M. Keane, PhD, of the National Center for PTSD and the VA Boston Healthcare System (and ADAA member), emphasizes this: "If you're feeling depressed and alone, or know someone who is, effective treatments are available. Consult a mental health professional today."
Both depression and anxiety carry a high risk of suicide," says Mark Pollack, MD, ADAA Past President and Grainger Professor and Chairman, Department of Psychiatry at Rush University Medical Center. "More than 90 percent of those who die by suicide have a diagnosable illness such as clinical depression, and often in combination with anxiety or substance use disorders and other treatable mental disorders."
- Free Anonymous Online Support Group
- Learn About Treatment (plus how to choose your therapist)
- Symptoms of Depression (includes a link to a site in Spanish)
- Talk Saves Lives, free webinar, presented by Dr. Jill Harkavy-Friedman
- My Suicide Notes, public blog post by Dr. Ashley Smith
- A Message for Dads: Get Support to Work Through the Pain of Losing a Child to Suicide, public blog post by Dr. John Ogrodniczuk
- Predicting and Preventing Suicide: Where Are We?, public blog post by Kate H. Bentley, MA and Matthew K. Nock, PhD
- Suicide, ADAA Public Statement by Brandon Gibb, PhD
- ADAA Members Share Their Expertise on Suicide Prevention, public blog post summarizing the #ADAATalksSuicide Twitter chat
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP)
- NIMH Suicide Prevention Resources
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- How Antidepressant Medications Work
- SAVE (Suicide Awareness Voices of Education)
- Suicide Articles on TheMighty
- Workplace Mental Health - Suicide Awareness the Work Place - American Psychiatric Association
- Suicide Is Preventable. Hospitals and Doctors Are Finally Catching Up
- Four Leading National Organizations Launch Suicide Prevention Template Plan for Schools, AFSP.org
- Better Ways to Prevent Suicide
- Suicide is on the Rise. Depression Therapy is Limited. Let’s Try Psychedelics
- Anthony Bourdain and the ‘Silent Epidemic of Male Suicide’
- Is Suicide Preventable?
- U.S. Suicide Rates Are Rising Faster Among Women Than Men
- Why Suicide Reporting Guidelines Matter
- US suicide rates increased more than 25% since 1999, CDC says
- Mapping the Rising Tide of Suicide Deaths Across the United States
- Deaths By Suicide and Firearms Are Rising Sharply Among Kids
- 5 Myths About Suicide